Her name was Kay, she was 97 years old, still wore high heels and man she loved to dance! I didn’t know her well but when I got the news that she had passed away in her sleep while on her holiday in Arizona, I couldn’t help but quietly ponder her long, healthy life and her now quick and painless passing.
Have you ever wondered why some people can live and die like Kay and so many others struggle everyday with pain, disease, depression and a myriad of other issues that rob them of their happiness?
Many people have questioned this and from that curiosity it has been shown that many of our centenarians of this day have alot in common according to Forbes after interviewing over 500 centenarians.
The SECRETS TO LIVING LONG AND HEALTHY are:
1) Positive Attitude – The key is to always look for the “silver lining” and “DON’T act your age” one 101 year old lady comments as she fires up her iPad to Skype her grandsons. So keep your mind on all that you have to be grateful for everyday.
2) Everything in Moderation – “Eat like it is 1960.” Many of the centenarians were shocked at the portion size of our everydaymeals and said that we need to keep everything in moderation, even the healthy stuff. Only eat what you need to satisfy the hunger,nothing more.
3)Insist on Good Nutrition – You can’t do any better than whole foods and a plant based diet. Modern science is proving daily that our Creator God knew exactly what was best for us.
4) Get Moving – “If you don’t use it, you will lose it!” Walk, bike, bend, stretch, jog, dance or swim. Doesn’t matter just do it and do it often.
5) Faith – It is no surprise that almost all of the centenarians said that there faith in God has sustained them. They believe that as long as God has a purpose for their lives, they should continue to give it all they have.
6) Clean Living – One 102 year old gentleman said “Just do what is right, stay out of trouble and live right.” Almost 75% of the centenarians that were interviewed never smoked and the few that did said they quit early in life. Most of them rarely drank alcohol and if they did it was just an occasionally.
7) Have a Plan – All of those interviewed has a purpose and truly lived in such a way as to have their heart and mind pointed in that direction daily.
8) Rest – Enjoying a Sabbath break each week allows your mind and body to rejuvenate and heal. Living without this pause button causes undo stress which shortens lives.
9) Socialize – Strong family structures or a part in a faith based community or civic club can also extend your life as long as the influence is positive.
10) Volunteer – Being a part of something that benefits others will also benefit you!
Now we all likely know some exceptions to these, however, more often than not, the ones who reach 100 and beyond are those that have consistently lived and acted on these tips. The choice is yours and whatever choice you make on a daily basis will determine how you experience life …… and death.
Here’s to your happy, healthy life!